Monday, June 9, 2014

Reflections on the past week (6/2 - 6/8/14)

The year's coming to a close. Last week was a busy one. A few thoughts:
  • On Thursday night, I attended our end-of-year dinner, where seven of my retiring colleagues were honored. Something on the order of 232 years' collective experience of teaching at my high school is going to be missing next year. I'm hopeful that the staff that remain can pick up where they left off.
  • The experience itself, for me, was a bit surreal, because I'm leaving too. I'm proud to have had the chance to work with such interesting folks for the past 11 years.
  • Currently reading Alex Ross' "The Rest Is Noise: Listening To The Twentieth Century". Best book on music history I've read. It's going to make the "read it at the library, love it, buy it" cut.
  • Quite tired of hearing about "digital literacy", to be honest. We don't have educational (or much other meaningful) equity in this country, so to have conversations about which apps are best, which platforms best allow students to share their work, which "digital tools" are best, ad nauseam, seems way premature. I wish we, as a country, had a longer attention span and sense of history than a chipmunk on meth so we might rationally sort out these issues, but alas.
  • Lots of people weighing in on the Bill Gates/Common Core article in the Washington Post last week. To those surprised I can only say - if you'd been reading Mercedes Schneider (among others) for the past year or so, you would not be surprised.
  • Grateful for many things. Not the least of which is that my soon-to-be-9-year-old daughter still wants me to read to her before bedtime. Currently we're halfway through Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles - one of my favorite series as a kid.

1 comment:

  1. I love both of Ross' books. His other one is called Listen to This. I learned SO much from both of these books. It is definitely worth owning both of them. My newly minted 11 yr old boy (birthday on Saturday) has not wanted us to read to him (or sadly has not wanted much to read himself either) for years. My 4 yr old girl still loves it.

    ReplyDelete