Saturday, March 29, 2014

To Whom It May Concern

After 15 years as a public school mathematics teacher, I am leaving.

This kind of thing happens every year, every spring. Teachers leave, others come in; students graduate, students enter. Schools continue.

I am grateful for many things:
  • The amazing colleagues I had at my first school (The Beacon School) during my first 4 years as a teacher. I learned much of what I know about kids and schools from them.
  • The unbelievable colleagues I have at my current school (Summit High School). We are a merry band, we are damn good, and we care for kids. I'm proud to have had the opportunity to work for so long with such a professional, dedicated group.
  • The educators I have gotten to know better over the last decade-and-a-half outside my own schools. Many I only "know" through social media such as Twitter, but I have had the great good fortune to meet several in person. Their knowledge, passion, and wisdom are an inspiration.
I am going to be teaching mathematics at Newark Academy starting in September. It will be a huge change. Much will be different. But in the end, everything that mattered before still matters now: I want kids to have a chance to experience what math can be like. I want them to know that it's not just formulas, homework problems, and tests.

I'm looking forward to the challenge.

8 comments:

  1. Newark Academy will definitely gain from what you will be bringing them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A significant loss to your current place of employ, and a tremendous gain to your future place of employ.
    Welcome to the indie school cadre! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the kind words! I'm excited for the opportunity!

      Delete
  3. "I want kids to have a chance to experience what math can be like. I want them to know that it's not just formulas, homework problems, and tests." Well said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Henri - I have many great role models to emulate (like you) in that regard!

      Delete
  4. Congrats, Mike. You'll do amazing work there...

    ReplyDelete